When we launched Open AIM 2.0 in March we announced a contest being run through TopCoder that was part of the launch where AIM gave away $100,000 in prizes, and some t-shirts along the way. We saw dozens of really top notch submissions and judging them was no easy task.
Last week at the Top Coder Open in Las Vegas we announced the winners, the top 9 got to split the $10,000 each while 20 runners up got $500 each. Winning submissions ranged from whiteboarding plugins to an IM translation tool to a viral video sharing web site via web AIM APIs.
Here is the winners list:
- IM Remote – Screen to screen desktop sharing over AIM.
- IM Loud: This plugin reads IMs out loud to the user.
- IM Whiteboard: Use AIM as a whiteboard and simultaneously draw with buddies.
- LinkPreview: Thumbnail link previews when hovering over a link sent to you in chat.
- Free2IM: Provides automatic, on-the-fly language translation back and forth over IM.
- Infomess: Chat and share videos at the same time.
- Share-A-Map: Share and collaboratively edit MapQuest maps. Giving someone directions will never be the same…
- PopsChat: Bound to score points with TopCoder users, this plugin brings AIM chat and features to the TopCoder Arena (a chat and messaging area).
- FeedReader: An RSS feedreader for AIM.
Congrats to all the winners. AOL is actively running a competition right now with TopCoder, this time for developers wanting to build video search applications via Truveo APIs.